How To Make A Blog GDPR Compliant: Have you been hearing about the GDPR laws? The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) became law May 25th.
This legislation affects everyone worldwide who runs a website or does any kind of email marketing where European citizens may be subscribed or contacted.
No matter what YOUR nationality is! Read on to discover how to protect your blog and list to be within the laws.
How To Make A Blog GDPR Compliant
This regulation in EU law is of data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU.
This includes your mail list, how you manage subscribers / opt-in forms and even the cookies and plugins you may have on your website.
Anywhere that EU citizens may be browsing or subscribing it’s is your duty to be within the GDPR laws.
The fines for not being GDPR compliant are in the millions!
Want to Make More Money?
Become a member of HerPaperRoute today and get a toolkit packed with resources to help you make that paper. All for FREE!
So, no matter where you are located, it’s time to make your blog and online business GDPR compliant.
It isn’t as complicated as it sounds, I promise!
Note: The information on this page is a general overview of available public information related to GDPR. I am not a lawyer, so consulting your own legal advisor about your business when it comes to such matters as this is always recommended.
How Do You Collect Subscribers?
First, you need to look into how you collect subscribers, and you need to make it crystal clear that when someone signs up, they understand how their information will be used.
Make sure that all of your opt-in forms/landing pages clearly state that when someone enters their email, they are subscribing to your list.
Add a checkbox as an extra reminder for people.
You can also use a double opt-in aka ‘confirm your email’ email, before receiving any freebies from you.
On That Note…
If you are subscribed to my list, I want to take a moment to remind you how you ended up there.
We offer a free resource kit to members and students of HerPaperRoute.
In addition to your free access to my resource library, you get a weekly email from me personally, jam-packed with useful tips and strategies to help you grow your blog.
But know that if you don’t want to be a part of my community anymore, you can unsubscribe from my list at any time, by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of every email.
I don’t want to send emails to anyone unless they are happy to read them!
GDPR Makes Everyone A Better Email Marketer
Being GDPR compliant, and applying the regulations to everyone on your mailing list (not just your EU subscribers) is good for everyone.
When you make a blog GDPR compliant, you will not only ‘cover your butt’ but it will also make you a better blogger and email marketer overall.
Related: Email marketing basics for bloggers
So, here are the main things you need to be aware of to make a blog GDPR compliant:
The Right To Be Forgotten
The right to be forgotten is a GDPR mandate that allows subscribers to ask to delete all of the data associated with them.
- Make sure put an unsubscribe link in your email footer
- Let your subscribers know they can unsubscribe at any time, and that they can contact you to request that you remove all of their information and data
Proof Of Subscriber Consent
You need to have proof that your EU subscribers consented to join your mailing list, by way of a time stamp. This information will solidify your documentation of where, when and at what time subscribers consented.
- Use a double opt-in where they must confirm their subscription to join your list, and to receive the opt-in incentive.
- ConvertKit signup forms automatically create the proof of consent by capturing the IP address, location, date, time, and the source of the consent form.
Identifying EU Citizens
You need to be able to identify EU citizens on your list.
ConvertKit provides a rule in the subscriber filter where you can sort your subscribers by location, to help easily sort GDPR subscribers.
Your Disclosure And Privacy Pages
You need to update your ‘Disclosure’ and ‘Privacy’ pages to mention that you are GDPR compliant, and explain how.
I recommend that you purchase the Website Legal Bundle which gives you fill-in-the-blank templates for your disclosure, privacy and terms and conditions pages – all drafted by a lawyer.
These documents include the GDPR notes you need to be within the laws.
Your Website Cookies
Oftentimes plugins will store cookies on your site without you being aware of. With the new GDPR law, you need to now be aware of them!
This free plugin has you covered: https://wordpress.org/plugins/gdpr/
Make A Blog GDPR Compliant – GDPR Checklist
If you follow these basic steps to make a blog GDPR compliant, you should have the right bases covered.
Always consult with your own legal counsel, as well as the official GDPR website for more information.
In a nutshell, to make a blog GDPR complaint:
- When you offer a freebie opt-in incentive or have any kind of subscribe form, it should be clear as day for everyone that by giving their email, they are signing up to your mail list
- Your subscribers must consent to receive emails from you, and be happy to receive emails from you.
- If they aren’t happy receiving your emails, they are given clear directions to unsubscribe
- If a subscriber requests to have their information deleted, you do so willingly
- You have a clear GDPR statement in your Privacy page.
Check out This GDPR checklist for more information on being GDPR compliant.
- Email Marketing Basics For Blossoming Bloggers
- Top Digital Marketing Trends To Grow Your Blog
- 12 Clever Ways To Promote Your Blog And Drive Traffic After You Hit Publish
- How To Build Profitable Affiliate Marketing Websites
- Blogging For Money: 3 Blogging Myths Keeping You Broke
Subscribe To Learn About Blogging
Now you know I take my subscriber’s privacy information seriously, and that I only send useful information about blogging and online business development.
So, let’s make this official! Become a HerPaperRoute member today, and you will get instant access to my resource library of blogging tools and strategies!